Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Q&A: ORU signee Chris Crawford

I had the chance to finally watch Oral Roberts signee Chris Crawford on Saturday at the Hoops Showcase at the BOK Center. Crawford finished with 21 points and 11 rebounds in Victory Christian's 57-38 rout of Edison.

Quick analysis: At 6 feet, 1 inch, Crawford certainly isn't the biggest guy roaming the hardwood. But he's quick and pretty nimble, using those assets to get to the free throw line. That's a quality that the ORU coaching staff will like having in years to come.
Right now, I envision Crawford as a Dederick Lee-type of player. Both are quick with pretty good ball skills. I know Lee has had a down year for the Golden Eagles, but I think a lot of it is his confidence. It's been slumping since the season started, and it's just a matter of him getting it back.
In time, I think Crawford will be a solid scorer and contributor for ORU. Of course, with the guards ORU is firing out now — a bunch that features guys that are either hot or cold — Crawford could cross Lewis Avenue and pick up some playing time as a freshman next season.
I think that'll be hard to do, though. ORU has a lot of players back for the 2015-2016 season, creating a logjam at a lot of positions. I'd say Booker T. Washington's Chris Miller and Ames' Javan White are better bets to pick up more playing time as freshmen next season.

Side note: I'll be at Booker T. Washington on Thursday night to watch Crawford and Miller go against one another. Should be good.

OK, now to the question-and-answer session with Crawford. I caught Crawford as Victory Christian was leaving the BOK Center on Saturday, so it was an abbreviated chat. But, here goes...

What are some aspects of your game that you're trying to work on before moving to college basketball?
A more consistent shooter. Tighter ball handling. Rebound a little bit better and more physical defense for the college level.

You were 11 of 11 at the free throw line against Edison. Do you feel like you're doing a good job of getting to the line right now?
The more I attack, the more the refs are going to give me a call — if they don't give me a few in the beginning. I just want to keep going in there, and make them give me a call.

How much have you been able to watch ORU this year?
I've come to almost every home game, unless we've had a home game or an away game.

What are you most looking forward to when the summer rolls around and you move to college basketball?
Just the college experience. Going to college and being by myself for the first time. Playing with grown men instead of the high school kids. Just little things like that.

Who's an ORU player that you're looking forward to working with the most?
Korey Billbury and Obi (Emegano). Just want to learn from them because they're the top scorers right now. I just want to learn how they score and go with that.

How do you feel like you could help ORU right now?
I think I could distribute and create for those guys next year. That's probably the biggest attribute that I could bring to the team.

No comments:

Post a Comment